documenting the life on streamed black stork nests
marika.solo
Site Admin

Re: Florentino and Fermina (Łódź)

Post by marika.solo »

June 1

the youngest storklet perished - according to observers chick suffocated :cry:

Justyna sent this message to me:
"First he had a problem with spitting something out, probably choked at 9:57 little falls on his back and doesn't get up anymore
9:57 something starts to happen more seriously with the smallest, from 9:59 we can see that it is not moving"

I am really sorry for little storklet - finger crossed for the remaining duo!
Madli

Post by Madli »

I am very sorry ! :cry: There has been enough bad luck in this nest already.

And now remains a duo not anymore a trio.
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

FB info: https://www.facebook.com/LasyPanstwoweL ... 4f6Q2yh6Kl

🎬 Sad Children's Day
We regret to inform you that 01.06.2022 by one o'clock 9:59 we lost our youngest hatched chick. It turned out to be the last (fourth) 22nd of May - 70 hours later than the first. It was the weakest and smallest, but until today we were positive - we closely observed the feeding👀 and how the little one is doing.
We don't know what happened - observers may have noticed that the young was weakened, and from observing the whole situation it seemed that it had been choked or poisoned. 😓
Sad is Children's Day in the oak nest. 🖤
We have two chicks left - let's hope our storks can keep an eye on them at all times! Keep your fingers crossed ........

(FB translation without corrections)
Madli

Post by Madli »

June 2

Despite all the bad that has happened lately,
There are 2 very big and strong chicks in the nest!

14 and 13 days old today 8-)

On an abundant frog diet

Fingers crossed for the not-so-little ones :P
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

3 June 2022

Piotr Zieliński at 21:00

Shift x 4, Fermina was left for the night. The chicks are getting bigger and bigger, they eat everything, there is no need to clean up.
As a result, there was one feeding per shift, I guess this is how it will look like.

Deliveries x 2 only Flo. Interestingly, Flo made deliveries when he was alone on the socket. But the chicks were still cared for because Flo was there. But this is an introduction to leaving chicks unattended. He would not have dared to do so sooner. EXAMPLE 19:55:30 - Fer's eyes are closed - white, but the lower eyelid is lighter. I've been browsing since morning - the carcass has returned to the center of the nest many times. Flo seemed to finally make it, but at 10:12:04 Fer picks them up again. 3:23 Flo puts them down again (on 10). Fer has no interest in him yet. Maybe it will work this time.

Ala Ja-ska: She could not part with her descendant.
Piotr Zieliński: @Ala Ja-ska - they (Flo and Fer) do not know what to do with it. This is a very unusual and rare situation. that the chick is killed in the center of the nest.
Joanna: Take it out and dump it somewhere else.
Piotr Zieliński: @Joanna - they know how, but don't know that this is the best solution.

Transmitters:
- the one from Piotrków forestry (2020) flies further N, crossed the Danube and is at the height of Bucharest
- the one from (2020) was still sleeping by Słudwia, but surprisingly he stayed away from the liquor store - which is not necessarily - it is not bad.
- the one from Kutno forestry (2021) is flying N over the Sava River at the height of Belgrade.

to Jõgeva nest
Beata: Piotr, and how often does it happen that a parent flies out with a dead chick?
Piotr Zieliński: @Beata - very rarely. I saw this for the first time in a Jogeva nest.
Joanna I thought that "imprinted" are only meant to bring something to the nest, and not the other way.
Our storks did not even try to eat it today. They couldn't see what to do with it.

Ania Nawrocka: Regarding Estonia, I know not on the topic, but what are in your opinion the chances that Janika will return to the nest?
Piotr Zieliński Janika will come back. But we will not speculate about the future. Everyone knows the situation is very difficult.

Ala Ja-ska: A night without her is not dangerous for kids?
Beata: Exactly - is there any chance that they will survive the night without her?
Piotr Zieliński: But at the moment there is no wise man who would propose a good solution to this situation in Jogeva. There is a chance in Jogeva because they are full and warm each other.

Beata: One more thing bothers me ... when they "cry" all the time, don't they "waste" energy?
Piotr Zieliński: @Beata - they waste, but not much, they already have energy from the last feeding of Janika - frogs and newts - and Urmas - crucian carp. The chicks do not see that the parent is not around, they call him to come
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

4 June 2022

Deliveries x 0, changes x 6 - once again Fer surprises with a late shift - 20:31.

Feeding Flo x 4, Fer x 3. When Flo arrived in the morning, he had to have a lot of food, because he had enough for two feedings. And Fer - one arrival, one feeding Maybe Fer will feed him tomorrow morning.

What is important to us is that the carcass is out of the chick's reach and Fer doesn't take it out, he can stay there. We are not going to make a special trip. Soon it will begin a more hectic period of time when the chicks will be alone. I would prefer it to happen as late as possible. The more so because from Wednesday to Sunday I go to the Tatra Mountains for exercises with students of environmental protection. I don't know how it will be with my evening visits. It will depend on the coverage, and we are to have new (different) accommodation

Ania Nawrocka: If there are only 2 chicks, does this period start later than when there are, for example, 4 to be fed?
- Piotr Zieliński @Ania Nawrocka end of speculation.

Trasnmitters
- only the signal from Romania is new - the one from 2020 continues N and is close to the Danube Delta.

to Jõgeva nest
Ania Nawrocka: Piotr, how did you know that Janika will come back? Was there no danger that she would abandon the young, and what does Jola tell you about those baskets of fish? Will he take advantage of them? And the percentage chances that 1 chick will fly out of that nest?
Piotr Zieliński @Ania Nawrocka - @Jolanta Kuligowska told me. I don't really know, but I judge the chances. Since Janika had left before Urmas's visit, they did not scare her away.
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

Justyna wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 23:10
Justyna,
thank you very much - great to have the overview and read the interesting comments by Piotr (prof. P.Z.)

by Justyna:
Madli

Post by Madli »

Why didn't we do this sooner? :D

I agree, it's great to see and read the evening commentaries of prof. Zielinski.

Continue, please :P
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

June 5, 2022

Today there was no material supply, but two times there was a water supply to the nest.

14:16 and 17:18 - not very successful deliveries, but always.

Changes x 3. Maybe Fer will still arrive because she left early.

14:26 feeding Fer x 2 and Flo x 2. And Flo and Fer bring mixed food, but Flo definitely more fish and Fer definitely more frogs. Plus, Flo sometimes brings very large frogs. But the storks eat it all. The chicks also have their down cared for - they are pure white.

Trasnmitters:
- the one from 2020, Piotrków forestry, goes on. It is in Ukraine on the border with Moldova on the Black Sea side. Better not keep it going.
- stork from Spała forestry from 2020 still slept on Słudwia, but the s-m shop is bypassed. After all, we don't know what they have there, possibly nothing interesting.
- stork from 2021, Kutno forestry, still flies to N. He is in Austria, on the Danube, close to Bratislava. He has a stone's throw to Poland.
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

Madli wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 17:00 Why didn't we do this sooner? :D

I agree, it's great to see and read the evening commentaries of prof. Zielinski.

Continue, please :P
If you want, can I complete the entries with all Piotr's notes from the beginning of the season?

Return to “POLAND streamed nests”