Karula National Park (Karl II and Kaia)

Madli

Re: Karula National Park (Karl II and Kaia)

Post by Madli »

I'm holding my breath- will they return? :?
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

Madli wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:37I'm holding my breath- will they return? :?
flying away with an empty crop is not an ideal start for an independent life :-(
fingers crossed very, very much!

thx for photo :-)

edit:
Madli, Adriána - email
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

youtube chat info

2:08 PM Iria​
Foorumis on kirjas, et Kalvi läks rändele ja oli 14.28 Lätis 50 km kaugusel

It is written in the forum that Kalvi went on a migration and was 50 km away in Latvia at 14:28

Fly safe, good feeding grounds - successful migration little Kalvi!
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

2023/2024 autumn(-winter) migration thread for KALVI/storklet with transmitter
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=151&p=23981#p23981
Adria

Post by Adria »

So Kalvi started his first migration at 10.36.31

Gif - Kalvi's last seconds on the nest

I wish him good luck on his journey, may he avoid all bad things and may he fly to his first wintering place in good health.
Happy flight, Kalvi! 🍀
Madli

Post by Madli »

Oh, this happy and sad moment has arrived. I wih all the best for these storklets! Every year we fall in love with them over and over again..

Member of Kotkaklubi and coordinator of Pärnu county, black stork and raptor expert Raivo shared his commentary:

"It's good when they can migrate in normal time. Later on, the weather and air currents may not be as favorable as in August, and you have to spend more energy with active flying. They haven't had the so-called work load on the wing and pectoral muscles , so the first migration jumps are shorter and some time is needed for recovery. However, if you are caught on the autumn rains during the migration and cannot find food, these energy reserves will quickly decrease. Early broods thus have an advantage in migration. They can recover more and move with shorter migration jumps. Older chicks are probably already more skilled at finding prey and are guided by places where other storks gather as good feeding places.
Late goers, however, may not find or see these larger stork groups."

AND I want to address my personal gratitude to Raivo for providing us with a lot of information about migration and images from the trail cameras. Also for giving me the opportunity to learn and be a part of conservation of the black storks in Estonia!
Madli

Post by Madli »

Here is my video of the last morning of all 3 storklets together in the nest, followed by their departures to the wide world.

Adria

Post by Adria »

Thank you Madli for all the videos you made this season and for all the posts, photos and information :) .
Thanks also to Ravio who shared this information with us.
Madli

Post by Madli »

Adria wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 17:28 Thank you Madli for all the videos you made this season and for all the posts, photos and information :) .
Thanks also to Ravio who shared this information with us.
And of course I haven't forgotten about you and all these hours you have put in this forum to document everything! You have really done an amazing job, Adriana! :)
Adria

Post by Adria »

Thank you Madli :) , it was more challenging at times, especially when the chicks had 18 feedings per day :lol: , but everything turned out great. Karl did a great job raising three beautiful, healthy and strong young storks .

He can rest and gather strength for the trip to Africa 8-) .

Return to “ESTONIA”