Jõgeva County (Jan and Janika)

documenting the life on streamed black stork nests
Madli

Re: Jõgeva County (Jan and Janika)

Post by Madli »

https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/node/6814
By Looduskalender 28.06.22

Tonight at about 10.30 pm, Urmas Sellis will bring one of the three orphaned storklets to the Karula nest as a foster child. The storklet is ringed (easy to recognize in the nest) and equipped with a small radio transmitter.

The only thing that can interfere with the transplant is an evening thunderstorm in the nesting forest, but we need to keep our fingers crossed for the project to succeed.

Urmas will stay overnight in the vicinity to intervene immediately if necessary.

In the coming days, we will give a more detailed overview of the history, what happened and the transfer of the last two chicks to the nests of other black storks.
Adria

Post by Adria »

Madli, thank you for the latest information.
Hm, 22:30. So I'm going to make another coffee. 8-)
Madli

Post by Madli »

Adria wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 15:18 Madli, thank you for the latest information.
Hm, 22:30. So I'm going to make another coffee. 8-)
Better take a nap and come back later :P
Adria

Post by Adria »

info from Urmas in LK forum :
In outdoor building of vet clinic, there is no camera. Therefore we can't show stream. To install it for few days - simply no time for that.
I can't see either the chicks, in spite want to. Will go there just before departure of first chick of Jan-Janika.

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 37#p866037
Madli

Post by Madli »

I remembered a case in Poland last year, where (already fledged) strange juveniles turned up to the nest of Skierka. There were like 5 chicks in total there. The native chicks plus the strangers. And Skierka came to the nest and fed them all!

Probably by accident, Skierka brought a group of 3 foreign young storks from the feeding ground near Trzciel ( from a distance of 23 km ! ) straight to the nest . ... Since most of the birds cannot count the number of their young, Skierka fed all the storks , which is a total of 5 ! It is also a very good example of the possibility of adopting foreign chicks in this species , which may be used in the future in active protection . ... BY DARIUSZ ANDERWALD
Adria

Post by Adria »

Madli wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 17:50
Madli ,thank you for providing the article and video from Mr. Anderwald. I saw this behavior last year in the nest of a white stork in Bohuslavice - a traveling young stork was fed by an adult male together with his young. Either they really can't count storks, or it's about the nature of the stork. Interestingly, almost adult cubs no longer attacked foreigners. So at least we hope that the black storks are also social (at least the young) and they will accept our orphan.
Madli

Post by Madli »

Yes, these situations give a good hope for us ! And I would be very happy if the foster chick remembers to behave like a real wild black stork 😊
Adria

Post by Adria »

Live transmission from the nest of Karl II and Kaia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMRFPM5NIE

22.07 - The time is approaching when Mr. Urmas should put one chick from Jan and Janika in the nest of Karel and Kai. Unfortunately, Kaia decided to stay in the nest tonight :( . As long as Kaia is present on the nest, the action cannot take place - there is a risk that the female Kaia will leave the chicks.
pinki flyd

Post by pinki flyd »

Good evening :)
they say Urmas will still climb the tree, even if Kaia is present,
I hope that everything goes well
Adria

Post by Adria »

pinki flyd wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 21:54
Good evening Pinki :) . It's a risk, but Urmas has definitely considered everything for and against, so we'll see. I am tense, but I hope that the event will succeed. 🙏

Return to “ESTONIA streamed nests”